Forum Rules & Etiquette
As with any community, there are guidelines governing behavior on the ACLP Forum. By joining and using the ACLP Forum, you agree that you have read and will follow the guidelines outlined below. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the rules and etiquette of the Forum. Remember, ACLP reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate the rules governing behavior on the Forum.
Thank you for adhering to these guidelines and for continuing to use the ACLP Forum to connect with, learn from, and support your colleagues! Please contact the ACLP Forum moderator at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal postings are strictly prohibited. This includes obscenities, verbal harassment, or comments that would prove offensive based on race, religion, or sexual orientation. Do not post anything in a ACLP Forum message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- No promotional or commercial messages are permitted, and members may not solicit financial contributions or support for any cause or project. Examples of forum conduct that is considered "promotional," and therefore unacceptable, include:
- Sharing of information about a product or service from an individual representing a company that sells or intends to sell the product or service. This includes messages that promote specific educational offerings, such as conferences, online courses, or webinars.
- Sharing of information about a product, project, or cause from an individual representing the organization offering that product, project, or cause. This includes messages that promote a free product or service offered by a nonprofit organization, requests for financial contributions or support, and requests for votes or other non-financial support (such as votes to help an organization win a contest).
- Requesting that a colleague or friend post a promotional message on your behalf.
- Requesting member feedback or "polling" on a particular product or service.
- Collecting email addresses obtained from correspondence on the ACLP Forum to build email marketing lists and/or send members promotional messages outside of the Forum
Members who have no official affiliation with a company or organization are welcome to use the Forum to share information about resources they have found to be legitimately helpful. In addition, if a Forum participant specifically requests information on a particular product or service, it is acceptable for an organization representative to email that person directly (off-Forum) with information if they believe it would be helpful. For more information about marketing a product or service to the entire ACLP membership, please visit our Advertise/Exhibit page. If you have information about a cause or project that you believe would be of interest to the wider ACLP membership and may merit special consideration, please contact email@example.com.
- You may not use addresses obtained from correspondence on the ACLP Forum to harass others or send them offensive or abusive email.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Do not post job openings or request job or internship availability information through the ACLP Forum. All communications specific to job openings should be conducted through the Job Placement Center in the Career Center.
- Copyright laws apply to electronic transmissions. Please make sure your posting does not violate the fair-use or other applicable sections of the copyright laws. Not sure? Visit www.nolopress.com to learn about copyright laws.
- ATTENTION STUDENTS & INTERNS: While student members are encouraged to remain engaged in the General Forum, remember that its primary purpose is to support professional discourse among child life specialists. Questions related specifically to child life academic and internship opportunities, or to preparation for the certification exam, should be directed to the Students & Interns Forum. Any forum threads deemed inappropriate for the General Forum will be moved to the appropriate forum at the discretion of ACLP staff moderators.
Members who break any of the above-outlined rules will receive a warning and are subject to removal from the ACLP Forum. Depending on the severity of infraction, the first offense will typically result in an informal warning and a reminder to review the ACLP Forum Guidelines. A second offense will result in a formal written warning. A third offense will result in removal from the ACLP Forum for one month or more.
ACLP Forum Etiquette
- The ACLP Forum Archives are a rich source of information! Before posting a specific inquiry, search the archives to avoid repetition.
- Only send messages to the entire Forum when they contain information that will benefit all. Posts aimed at a single individual and those that do not contribute to the increased knowledge base of list readers should be sent by private email to the subscriber(s) concerned. To do this, type in the individual's email address in the address line instead of the ACLP Forum address.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the ACLP Forum. Instead, log in to the ACLP Community and click on "Manage Your Subscriptions" to adjust your settings. For more information, visit Manage Forum Account Settings.
When drafting a new message:
- Concisely and clearly state the specific topic in the subject line. This will ultimately make it easier for members to search the archives by subject (or "thread").
- Include a signature tag on all messages: name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address.
- Do not type in all capitals; it is considered yelling.
When replying to a message sent to the list:
- Remember, if you click "reply" to a message sent through the Forum, your reply will be sent to the entire list of Forum subscribers, not just the person who sent the message. If you intend to respond only to the author of the email, remember to copy and paste the individual's email address into the "To" field. To avoid embarrassment when sending a personal message, be sure to double check every time!
- Please remove as much of the original message from your reply as is practical. This is especially important if you respond directly to a message contained within a daily digest. To avoid adding a long chain of unrelated messages to a specific discussion thread, it is best to log into ACLP Community (a link is available at the bottom of any message sent from the Forum) and click on the relevant discussion thread to respond directly. If you prefer to respond from your email without logging into ACLP Community, be sure to delete the other messages in the digest to make sure that it is clear which message you are referring to in your response.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- If you would like to receive the same information someone else has already requested on the forum, it is not necessary to send a message saying, "Please post to Forum," or "Me too." Assume that other Forum subscribers will post information that will benefit everyone.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" to individuals--not to the entire list.
This list is provided as a service of the Association of Child Life Professionals. ACLP accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. ACLP disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by ACLP or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchant ability and fitness. In no event shall ACLP be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants ACLP and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
ACLP does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to ACLP's attention, ACLP will take all appropriate action. ACLP reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.