An estimated 400,000 children around the world develop cancer each year, and cancer is the leading cause of death by disease past infancy for U.S. children (St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
). During September, we mark Childhood Cancer Awareness Month to increase knowledge and understanding of children experiencing cancer while honoring their journeys, whatever the outcome. The following resources will aid you in supporting children and families through a cancer diagnosis.
Exclusive Discount for Members: Beads of Courage
ACLP is partnering with Beads of Courage to offer members an exclusive discount the entire month of September! ACLP members are eligible to receive 20% off any of the following four products: Beads of Courage Dream Experience Bundle, Strand for Strength and Remembrance Workshop, Sibling Program, and Bead Strong.
To claim your discount. log in to your ACLP account here. Learn and shop at Beads of Courage here.
NEW PDU for Members
ACLP Members can earn 1.5 PDUs in DEI by watching Rebekah Taussing's closing keynote at the 2023 Annual Child Life Conference and taking a quiz. Here's a peek into her presentation: "After childhood cancer left her paralyzed, Rebekah Taussig has spent most of her life interacting with physicians and healthcare systems. She’s felt the impact of being seen as a medical object to study, and she also knows through her bones what a difference it makes to be treated as a whole person. Relying on a rich history of personal stories and research on the patient experience, Taussig makes a compelling case for patient-centered care."
Hurry! This opportunity is only open during September 2023.
Blogs and Articles
Specialized Resources: Supporting Children Coping with Hair Loss
Childhood Cancer Awareness Month: Supporting Children and Families Through a Cancer Diagnosis- ACLP blog post with tips and resources on explaining cancer to children
- A list of various resources that can help better equip child life specialists, teachers, parents, and health care professionals to support the learning and coping needs of children affected by hair loss
Play-based procedural preparation and support intervention for cranial radiation
- This article was published in Supportive Care in Cancer in 2016 and explores the effects of child life interventions on sedation use in children receiving radiation treatment for central nervous system tumors. This seminal study was the first to examine the financial impact of preparation interventions provided by a Certified Child Life Specialist.
Adolescent Cancer Survivors’ Oncology Camp Experience
- ACLP Bulletin article looking at a study utilizing an interpretive phenomenological approach to explore: (1) What is the lived support experience of adolescent cancer survivors attending a one-week oncology camp? and (2) What is the meaning of social support to adolescent cancer survivors in the context of an oncology camp? Members can earn 1 free PDU by reading the article and taking a quiz. A webinar featuring this study is also available here.
"Moments of Joy"
Videos and Webinars
- A documentary providing an emotional look at childhood cancer from some of its youngest patients; distributed by Aflac and featuring My Special Aflac Duck
, free resource providing a medical play duck for children with cancer
Research Findings on Child and Parent Communication Preferences for Cancer Diagnosis and Prognosis Disclosure-
ACLP webinar reporting research findings on child and parent communication preferences to empower child life specialists to advocate for honest developmentally appropriate information throughout a patient’s treatment. 1.5 PDUs, Ethics
A Therapeutic Camp Experience for Adolescent Cancer Survivors
- ACLP webinar looking at a study utilizing an interpretive phenomenological approach to explore: (1) What is the lived support experience of adolescent cancer survivors attending a one-week oncology camp? and (2) What is the meaning of social support to adolescent cancer survivors in the context of an oncology camp? .5 PDUs